Saturday, June 27, 2015

El Capitan Passage to Labouchere Bay June 14, 2015



 
 
 

The last several miles of our exit from El Capitan Passage is a narrow, twisty channel, bordered by rocky shoals on both sides and wide enough for exactly one boat.  We radio our Securite warning that we are sailing through and hope no one is coming the other way.  The trip requires a slow speed, maximum concentration and many sharp turns; we can barely manage this because we are oohing and aahing over the granite walls and tree covered mountains all around us.  This is by far my favorite place in Alaska.

We head for our anchorage for the night, LaBouchere Bay, itself a landmine of hidden rocks and shoals but we safely anchor.  Tonight our dinner show is courtesy of Disney – otters frolicking in the water, summersaulting, cleaning their crab supper on their stomachs and just generally being adorable. 
 
 
Labouchere Bay
 

 Mt. Calder looms over us, a 3,307 foot peak that I have fallen in love with.  Between the otters and this mountain, I have snapped approximately a thousand pictures from every conceivable angle.  If Jim hears me yell “look at this” one more time, I think he’s going to throw me overboard.  But hey, look at this…
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Evening in Labouchere Bay




Mt. Calder
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Keiku Srait! I felt like I was with you

    ReplyDelete